Friday, June 8, 2007

Rethymno

I'm in Rethymno, on the north coast of Crete between Xania and Iraklio. I'm learning a little bit about the history of Crete, which can be absolutely shocking at times. Minoans, Byzantines, Venetians, Ottomans, independence struggles, World War Occupations, Resistance fighting, it's incredible (and that's probably not in the correct order). Right now, is the longest period of peace ever in Crete. So much to learn...

Last night, I met Franck and Penelope. Franck is French but living here in Greece with Penelope and learning Greek. Penelope has a day job but is also works on films. She studied the history of Greek Music at college and so we had a long discussion about that. Really fantastic. And I had raki for the first time (To toast in Greek, you say "yamas" which means "to us"). I'll post some pictures later...I'm on my way out the beach.

Tonight, we are meeting up again to see an old Greek 60s rock band that are on some kind of reunion tour...the Olympians.

More in a bit...perhaps during the siesta. Ahhh...Greece.

No comments: