Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mamelodi Bridal Show.

Today, I helped out at the first ever Mamelodi Bridal Show. Those of you who know me well, know how I feel about the wedding industry in the U.S. Yeah, I'm kind of a grinch about it. But, being here in Mamelodi puts a whole new perspective on things. As I've been informed, funerals are an incredibly big deal here. In a lifetime, the funeral is the main event, not births, weddings, anniversaries, graduations or anything else you can think of that we celebrate. It's all about the funerals (and there are enough ads for funeral policies to prove it). And considering the AIDS situation in SA people are always attending funerals. Always. The government has banned funerals on weekdays because no one could work - they would constantly attend and prepare for funerals.

So, the bridal show was planned to help develop a new culture where people think about celebrating life instead of death. An American couple who have been here in Mamelodi for six months planned it with the community. The event, and the preparation for it, also helped to promote small businesses in Mamelodi - caterers, dress rental, jewelery, hair and make-up artists, etc.

The event was definitely a success - everyone is already talking about planning the next one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I can see it already--Gloria, Vincent, and the Powerhouse community are catching you. They truly are trying to redeem SA from being centered on death and suffering to life and celebrating. And now you get to be part of that.

I do think its OK to take some pictures. I agree your words are beautiful, but I'm not sure everyone can quite comprehend what a former SA township is like.

Greetings to the Powerhouse community.

Al

Unknown said...

I mailed you before I read your blog. people must celebrate good things to give them hope. Marriage is a big industry as I understood from my friends wedding preparations. You need money for everything,and nothing is cheap.

If you enjoyed to help a bridal show, we can make a wed organization buss. when you come back to Istanbul. Really big money!!!!

Unknown said...

Katie, that's so amazing to be part of something like that -- what a unique opportunity. I feel the way you do about the bridal industry in the US, because it is based on something completely different, but this, this is what it should be about.

I agree with Al that it would be nice to see some photos, add some visual perspective to your stories, and maybe after you've been there a little longer, everyone would be more comfortable with you doing that.

Hope your classes are still going well.

k2

Anonymous said...

so, i feel the same way about you re: weddings. any interesting styles, ideas, culture you can share with me after being part of this bridal show? i need all the help i can get..the industry puts a lot of pressure on brides, and i don't like it one bit...makes me want to elope.

randy and i have humored the idea many times...