Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Gandhi, My Father

I watched "Gandhi, My Father" at the cinema (in the biggest mall in South Africa) last week.

Here is what happened:

"I would like one ticket to Gandhi, My Father, at noon please."
"One ticket?"
"Yes, one ticket?"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I'm sure, one ticket."
"This is an Indian movie."
"I know."
"So, you want one ticket to an Indian movie. It's not in English."
"Well, does it have subtitles in English?"
"Let me check...yes."
"Ok. That's fine."
"All right. One ticket?" (She laughs and shakes her head)
"Yes."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Who's on first? Yes.

Anonymous said...

it's so great that you're documenting even your small exchanges with the local people. these are the kinds of memories that one could really cherish, but that are often forgotten...wish i could've been there to see this happen. her smile sounds sweet.