Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Visas

Yesterday, I picked up a visa for my visit to India at the Consular Wing of the Indian Embassy on Massachusettes Avenue in DC. I could have done this through the mail but I'm paranoid about giving up my passport (especially with only a few weeks to go), and it gave me an excuse to visit some friends. The process was surprisingly efficient.

India is the only country I'm going to that requires obtaining a visa before arrival in country. I also need visas for Turkey, Nepal, Cambodia, and Australia but I can get those at a port of entry. Greece, South Africa, Thailand, New Zealand and Fiji just ask me to show up with my passport. Some want proof of sufficient funds and a guaranteed exit strategy (partly why I went ahead and bought all of my plane tickets in advance). All together I'll pay about $250 for entry and visa fees - and some departure taxes, too.

No comments: